Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Wild Berries and Jammie Dodgers


Feast thine eyes upon what I would say is quite the winning and sickly sweet combo.  Sickly sweet in a good way, of course.  This box of tea was gifted to me and I'd been eyeballing those Jammie Dodgers every time I went to the grocery store the past two months before finally giving in.  

Combined, it makes for an adorably sweet tea time.  (Which is why I gave the picture fairy sparkles.)

My blog seems to be ill as of late.  Suffering from what I would call an "herbal tea visus".  This is odd because I rarely drink herbal teas, as I've mentioned before.  But my Jammie Dodgers whispered to me that they wanted to be eaten with a fruity/sweet tea.

Which brings us here.  

First, let's talk about the Jammie Dodgers.  They are freakin adorable.  A shortbread that, for once, doesn't have that buttery taste that shortbread is known for.  And I don't know what voodoos involved in making the raspberry flavored plum jam center, but unlike pretty much every other cookie that has a fruity center, this one is creamy and not rock-hard.  Typically, I find that cookies of the fruit-filled variety have a MO to rip the fillings out of my innocent ol' toothesess.  

Not nice.  Not nice at all.

But these are creamy and go perfectly with the shortbread making it my new favorite tea biscuit.  Sorry Ovaltine and Walkers.  It was good while it lasted.  We can still be friends.  Alright, friends with benefits.

Despite the fruit in the center, I find that they still go well with any tea... but best with this weeks tea.

Twinings Wild Berries herbal tea.  

Here's what the website has to say:

A full-flavoured herbal tea made with the naturally sweet flavours of raspberries, strawberries, blueberries and blackcurrants. 

A flavourful herbal tea expertly blended with the luscious flavours of raspberries, strawberries, blueberries and blackcurrants to deliver a delicious tea with a fresh, fruity aroma and naturally sweet taste. 

Ingredients: natural strawberry, raspberry, blueberry and blackcurrant flavours with other natural flavours, rosehips, hibiscus, orange leaves, apple pieces, liquorice root, roasted chicory root.

I guess I forgot about my fruit teas when I said that my Lipton Caramel Vanilla Truffle was my sweetest tea.  Since this one is made up of bits of fruit that naturally sweeten it, this would have to win.  It has that slightly bitter afterthought that fruity teas have.  It's not a bad bitter, just a distinctive one.

If you've never had a fruit tea, don't make the mistake of going into it thinking that it's just going to taste like hot fruit juice.  That's not the case at all.  Fruit tea tastes like, well, fruit tea.  It has no comparison that I can think of.  Those that frequent Teavana may be very familiar with fruit teas because that's all I ever see them offering as samples.  But those are horrid teas, and this one isn't that bad.  

While the brewed product is a delightful pink, the fruit that actually stands out the most for me is the blueberry.  I would imagine people that add sugar to their tea would really like it in this one, but I'm not daring enough to give that a whirl since this is already sweet enough for me.

So turn the kettle on, get your Jammie Dodgers ready, and enjoy a cuppa!  Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment